Flying With Pets

Remove the stress and hassle of travelling with your pet on commercial airlines. Charter a private jet so that your pet can travel in the cabin with you, in a safe, comfortable and secure environment.

More of our clients are choosing to fly private with their pet family members, and are choosing this mode of travel specifically for this reason. Travelling by commercial aircraft is risky and frightening for your pet, especially when they are used to being in a comfortable home environment.

The best and most ideal solution for your pet is too travel on-board with you. When you fly on a private jet with your pet, check in is just 30 minutes prior to your departure. You depart from the same terminal. You park right outside the terminal and walk straight through to the passenger lounge.

As long as your pet passport is all cleared, you and your pet can board your aircraft. On your return your pet will be checked and have its microchip scanned. This is swift procedure and can be done either on or on the ramp. Once all the relevant documents have been seen, you can head straight to your car, without the need to collect your pet from a different terminal.

The great thing about flying on a private jet with your pet is that they can move around the cabin once the aircraft has taken off and the seat belt signs have been turned off. Catering for your pet can be arranged, so just let us know their favourite foods, snacks and it will be on-board waiting for them.

Our aim is to make you and your pet as comfortable as possible. For take off and landing your pet must be in a seat with a belt on. Smaller dogs and cats must be in a regulation sized pet carrier. This is for your safety and your pets safety

travel with pets on a private jet

Falcona can help you with your Private Jet requirements…

In detail…

If bringing a pet on-board, note the following:

  • DEFRA must pre approve you as an operator to that particular airport before travel.
  • Getting approval from DEFRA can take up to two weeks.
  • You must pre-notify your handler of the arriving pet
  • You must ensure that full health documentation is available for the animal.

You can enter or return to the UK with your pet cat, dog or ferret if it:

  • Has been microchipped.
  • Has a pet passport or third-country official veterinary certificate.
  • Has been vaccinated against rabies – it will also need a blood test if you’re travelling from an ‘unlisted country’.

Dogs must also usually have a tapeworm treatment. Your pet may be put into quarantine for up to 4 months if you don’t follow these rules – or refused entry if you travelled by sea. You’re responsible for any fees or charges.

Before you travel

Check if the company you’re travelling with will accept your pet for travel – and how many they’ll accept if you have more than one needs any proof that your pet is fit and healthy to travel, for example a letter from a vet or certain information in your pet passport.

Travelling with your pet

Your pet must arrive in the UK no more than 5 days before or after you, or you’ll have to follow different rules. You must use an approved transport company and route unless you’re travelling between the UK and Ireland.

Authorising someone else to travel with your pet

Your pet can travel with someone else if you’ve authorised it in writing.

Where you’re travelling from

The rules for bringing your pet cat, dog or ferret into the UK depend on whether you’re coming from:

  • An EU country, or another country the UK accepts pet passports from a listed country.
  • An unlisted country – a country the UK doesn’t accept a pet passport from, and one that isn’t a listed country.

Pet passport and other documents

You need a pet passport for your dog, cat or ferret if they’ll be travelling:

  • To the UK from an EU country, or another country the UK accepts pet passports from.
  • From the UK to a listed or unlisted country and then returning to the UK – you can’t do this after your pet’s rabies vaccination has expired.

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU nationals living in the UK, nor UK nationals living in the EU, while the UK remains in the EU. If they’re coming from a listed or unlisted country, you need a third-country official veterinary certificate if they don’t have a pet passport. You must bring originals of all your pet’s documents, not photocopies.

Getting a pet passport

Pet passports list the different treatments your pet has had. You can get one from certain vets in EU countries, and other countries the UK accepts pet passports from. If your vet doesn’t issue pet passports, ask them for the nearest that does, or contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency.

You’ll need to take your pet, its identity and vaccination records and any rabies blood test results (if you have them) when you get a pet passport. The passport is only valid if you meet the entry requirements. You don’t need to get a new style passport (issued from 29 December 2014) until all the treatment spaces are full.

You should travel with previous pet passports in some cases, for example if your pet has had a blood test. Ask your vet if you think this applies to your pet. Only vets in countries that the UK accepts pet passports from can enter information into the pet passport (except for tapeworm treatments).

Before you travel

Check that the vet has filled in the following sections in the pet passport:

  • Details of ownership – you must sign section I if your pet passport was issued on or after 29 December 2014.
  • Description of animal.
  • Marking or identification of animal.
  • Raccination against rabies.
  • Rabies blood test (if needed).
  • Details of the vet issuing the passport (for passports issued from 29 December 2014).
  • Your dog’s tapeworm treatment (if needed).


Your pet must be microchipped before they get a rabies vaccination or they’ll need to be vaccinated again.

Microchipping for pet travel can only be done by:

  • A vet
  • A vet nurse, student vet or student vet nurse (directed by a vet)
    someone trained in microchipping before 29 December 2014, and with practical experience
  • Someone who has been assessed on an approved training course – contact DARD if the course was in Northern Ireland

Make sure your vet puts the microchip number in your pet passport or third-country official veterinary certificate. The date must be before your pet’s vaccinations.

Rabies vaccination, boosters and blood tests

You must get your dog, cat or ferret vaccinated against rabies before it can travel. Your vet needs proof that your pet’s at least 12 weeks old before vaccinating them.

Your pet must be microchipped before their vaccination or they’ll need to be vaccinated again. The vaccine must be an inactivated vaccine or recombinant vaccine that’s approved in the country of use.

Countries the UK accepts pet passports from and listed countries

You must wait 21 days after the vaccination (or the last of the primary course of vaccinations) before bringing your pet to the UK from an EU country, or another country.  The UK accepts pet passports from a listed country.

Tapeworm treatment for dogs.

A vet must treat your dog for tapeworm and record it in the pet passport or third-country official veterinary certificate every time you want to bring it to the UK. The treatment must have been given no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before you enter the UK. Your dog can be refused entry or put into quarantine if you don’t follow this rule.

You don’t need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you’re coming directly to the UK from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway.

The treatment must:

  • Be approved for use in the country it’s being given in
  • Have praziquantel or an equivalent as its active ingredient

Information your vet needs to record

Check the vet has put the following details in the ‘Echinococcus treatment’ section of your dog’s pet passport or certificate:

  • The name and manufacturer of the product.
  • The date and time they treated your dog.
  • Their stamp and signature.

Need to know

All the charter operators that we select for your private jet pet flight, are DEFRA approved to transport cats and dogs into these UK airports. Falcona will ensure that the chosen operator are able to transport your pet to your requested airport.

The following airports – Manchester Airport, Edinburgh Airport, London Stansted Airport, Biggin Hill Airport, London Oxford Airport, Blackpool Airport, Doncaster Robin Hood Airport, Cambridge Airport, Leeds/Bradford Airport, Bristol Airport, Glasgow Airport and Farnborough Airport are all approved to cater for pet travel in the UK. All charter operators are DEFRA approved as a carrier to transport dogs and cats on private jets.